comfy friend
Reaction score
comfy coins
💠8,515
In This Thread We Hate FL Studio

FUCK YOU FL STUDIO

Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 7.56.58 PM.png

Shitty Gamer Daw For Shitty Gamer Music
Do Not Come At Me With Your Sewerslvt Knockoff Breakcore Or Pluggnb Beats I Will Fucking Destroy You

I made a couple of albums on it and did find a bunch of things about it were made really awkward to work with for whatever reason, but you can definitely figure out how to do whatever you wanna do on it should you choose to. I watched that one Ben Jordan video on how he uses FL and I was really impressed with the workflow, he's really squeezing so much out of the software, it's crazy. Having said that, I ended up moving to Ableton and honestly I've been pretty happy with it. Actually recording directly to tracks was a beautiful thing. lol

As someone who uses FruityLoops since v2.x... You have no idea what you are talking about, bro :-)
It's like saying: "I don't know how to use a saw, so fuck saws!"
If you wrap your head around FL, it's the fastest and most flexible DAW out there imho.

However... Every DAW is more than fine if you can handle it.
I personally don't like ableton for many reasons, however i use it almost daily because it has it's specific strenghts.

SAY NO TO DAW WARS (and war in general)

nah i know how to use FL. i used FL studio for several years but switched to ableton because i can edit audio in it much easier since all audio clips are unique by default and the ease of stretching, warping, and chopping them

i do miss FL's sequencer and mixer though. i still use FL for when i know what i'm making is about to literally just be a wall of patterns and nothing else

I really dislike FL Studio when i have to use the weird pattern system (Why can't i have normal instrument tracks like every single other daw)
But i have to say that the stock plugins are phenomal if you're someone who's used to being limited with the bare minimum, granted most of these plugins are synth-oriented but they're still really cool to use.

You can easily achieve what you are talking about by dragging an instrument to an empty playlist track so that your vst & playlist track & mixer track is linked like in classic daws.

fl.PNG

You can easily achieve what you are talking about by dragging an instrument to an empty playlist track so that your vst & playlist track & mixer track is linked like in classic daws.

View attachment 1758
Yeah that's what i used to do when i tried it but i still had to deal with the gripes of the pattern system

At least it's not ableton (read: at least it supports MIDI bank/program CCs)

Honestly, the only reason I still use FL (v10.0.9) is because it's what I'm used to. It was my first DAW (besides Reaper and Adobe Audition, but those have different use cases). I would be interested in trying an open-source DAW, just haven't really put the time or effort into looking for one. I have such a solid workflow in FL at this point that I don't even think it'd be worth it. Plus there's a few stock plugins that I couldn't do without. All in all I think it comes down to what works for you. If you enjoy the process and the end result comes out the way you want, that's what matters.

Honestly, the only reason I still use FL (v10.0.9) is because it's what I'm used to. It was my first DAW (besides Reaper and Adobe Audition, but those have different use cases). I would be interested in trying an open-source DAW, just haven't really put the time or effort into looking for one. I have such a solid workflow in FL at this point that I don't even think it'd be worth it. Plus there's a few stock plugins that I couldn't do without. All in all I think it comes down to what works for you. If you enjoy the process and the end result comes out the way you want, that's what matters.
Just use something decent like Studio One, it's pretty good. I'd tell you to use Logic but hackintoshin' for a DAW is pretty tiresome (but worth it). I tried post-Bandlab Cakewalk when it came out (or a year after?) and it was alright but it crashed almost constantly (though it's cool how it still had TTS-1/Edirol HyperCanvas)
Heard Cubase 11/12/13 aren't crashfests anymore but aside from writing MIDI on it I've always had bad experiences with it (though again, best MIDI writing tools ever, at least on v8)
Reaper is alright if you like CBT, I could never get used to it, it feels like it's held together with stick glue. It definitely doesn't feel like it was made by the Winamp guy. Heard Reason actually got cracked, I've installed it on my Windows install before it crapped out but I never dared to open it, I'd waste so much time on it (still not available on OSX, sadface)

Just use something decent like Studio One, it's pretty good. I'd tell you to use Logic but hackintoshin' for a DAW is pretty tiresome (but worth it). I tried post-Bandlab Cakewalk when it came out (or a year after?) and it was alright but it crashed almost constantly (though it's cool how it still had TTS-1/Edirol HyperCanvas)
Heard Cubase 11/12/13 aren't crashfests anymore but aside from writing MIDI on it I've always had bad experiences with it (though again, best MIDI writing tools ever, at least on v8)
Reaper is alright if you like CBT, I could never get used to it, it feels like it's held together with stick glue. It definitely doesn't feel like it was made by the Winamp guy. Heard Reason actually got cracked, I've installed it on my Windows install before it crapped out but I never dared to open it, I'd waste so much time on it (still not available on OSX, sadface)
I think eventually Studio One is something I will seriously look into (though I think I heard something about the Linux version being Wayland only, so I'll have to sort that out). I mostly work with samples, doing lots of chopping/stretching etc, but I also really like the step sequencer and piano roll of FL. DAWs like Reaper are fucking terrible for that, hence why I said it depends on your use case. Reaper is great for doing multitrack recordings. If my time spent searching for a new DAW and learning it is worth the potential benefits of said DAW, then yeah, I'll put more effort into switching, but at the moment everything is working just fine for me, so I have little incentive to change. Really the only reason why I'd want to switch away from FL in the first place is its proprietary license.

As an aside, I know a guy who exclusively uses Audacity to make his beats, and they're fucking good. I have no clue how the madlad does it.

And back onto the topic of the thread, as an avid FL user for 12+ years, I can agree. Fuck FL. But I still luv it too.

I think eventually Studio One is something I will seriously look into (though I think I heard something about the Linux version being Wayland only, so I'll have to sort that out). I mostly work with samples, doing lots of chopping/stretching etc, but I also really like the step sequencer and piano roll of FL. DAWs like Reaper are fucking terrible for that, hence why I said it depends on your use case. Reaper is great for doing multitrack recordings. If my time spent searching for a new DAW and learning it is worth the potential benefits of said DAW, then yeah, I'll put more effort into switching, but at the moment everything is working just fine for me, so I have little incentive to change. Really the only reason why I'd want to switch away from FL in the first place is its proprietary license.

As an aside, I know a guy who exclusively uses Audacity to make his beats, and they're fucking good. I have no clue how the madlad does it.

And back onto the topic of the thread, as an avid FL user for 12+ years, I can agree. Fuck FL. But I still luv it too.
The FL piano roll is actually pretty alright when compared to absolute garbage like ableton or prostate tools' (lol, lmao) but the whole pattern thing is pretty retarded and the entire interface could use a redesign, no matter how many smooth animations and transitions they add it still feels like a slightly prettier and less clunky version of Logic 5
As for the whole FOSS thing I have no idea why you'd torture yourself with it, I can't imagine WINE doing justice to any DAW

As for the whole FOSS thing I have no idea why you'd torture yourself with it, I can't imagine WINE doing justice to any DAW
I get why you'd have this stance, but truthfully my experience with using FL Studio 10 with WINE has been brilliant. In fact, I'd argue it runs better for me than it did natively. I have WineASIO installed, but I don't even really need it as everything for audio is already realtime, certain plugins actually respond BETTER through WINE than they did natively, and my MIDI controller works outta the box. I can't say this will be the case for every DAW through WINE. If I were to switch DAWs though it would be something that has a native Linux version, it would make the most sense.

the entire interface could use a redesign, no matter how many smooth animations and transitions they add it still feels like a slightly prettier and less clunky version of Logic 5
I'm not a fan of the UI redesign of FL from 12 on, either. I'm stuck in my ways of the clunky looking v10.

This whole thing was made on Audacity and it's a wonderfully flawed masterpiece:

Growing up, I used to make my tracks in milkytracker and octamed.
My first actual DAW was FL studio, it taught me the basics of routing, FX and arranging.
So I kind of hold it dear to me, would I ever use it again? No.

The piano roll is great, the plugin wrapper is amazing. The time stretching is alright too.
I also like the fact that you can resize the windows to your liking, and there's also the whole community aspect of it.
There's a lot of support out there, but at the same time there's the endless amount of screen recorded dubstep/breakcore YouTube bullshit
and the whole trap beats culture. But hey, it's all good fun.

I think it's good for having fun.

how the hell do you even make wineasio work. I've gotten ableton and fl working in wine perfectly before but wineasio just won't work (maybe because i don't understand the difference between jack and pipewire and pulseaudio)

Last edited:
how the hell do you even make wineasio work. I've gotten ableton and fl working in wine perfectly before but wineasio just won't work (maybe because i don't understand the difference between jack and pipewire and pulseaudio)
It's not difficult, though admittedly it's not just "install and it works" either. I'm on Arch and use Pipewire for audio backend. I just installed the normal wineasio package, and it gives you the steps to set it up after you install it - add your user to the realtime group: sudo usermod -aG realtime $(whoami) and then register the 32 and 64 bit DLLs for it: regsvr32 /usr/lib32/wine/i386-windows/wineasio32.dll && wine64 regsvr32 /usr/lib/wine/x86_64-windows/wineasio64.dll

Again, when you install it, after it is complete it lists those steps, so you don't have to search anything up, but you also have to be paying attention when you're installing it. After that's done, I had to set my buffersize in WineASIO settings to 512. Voila, she works.
2023-12-29-162412_400x350_scrot.png

ableton's crashing when i select ASIO but i'll try again tomorrow. part of my issues last time i tried may have been fixed since wineasio was updated in september so im hopeful
FL Studio feels like it's running in Wine even natively on Windows

/pub/ ~ public channel
Help Users
      Xeraser @ Xeraser: It's not intended behavior but EW said they're not gonna ""fix"" this, neat
      Back