lets make video games! (69 days from 4/20)

Currently reading:
lets make video games! (69 days from 4/20)

arena

2kd.xyz
comfy friend
Reaction score
comfy coins
πŸ’ 203,968
I've wanted to make a remake of my first game Debugged! for some time now, and as it turns 3 this year, I thought I could do maybe a cool anniversary edition or some shit. I then realized the game turns 3 in 69 days from today, which is 4/20. I then proclaimed THAT IS FUCKING EPIC.

So come on! Lets all make some shitty little games and learn some new skills!

I tried to start learning gamedev in godot recently but I was admittedly horrible at it :< I know it comes with practice but man it frustrated me to the point where I didn't even wanna practice. I'll likely stick to writing OSTs for said games!

I tried to start learning gamedev in godot recently but I was admittedly horrible at it :< I know it comes with practice but man it frustrated me to the point where I didn't even wanna practice. I'll likely stick to writing OSTs for said games!
I know you might almost feel bad about using them, but I reccomend starting with simple engines like Gdev5 or Construct 2. It lets you just enjoy the fun part of making games, and the design and craft. That's what I'm doing so far, although I'd love to go 3D!

somewhere on an old hard drive, is all of my game maker 8 projects from when i was like 9 years old

i fear the contents of that folder

I know you might almost feel bad about using them, but I reccomend starting with simple engines like Gdev5 or Construct 2. It lets you just enjoy the fun part of making games, and the design and craft. That's what I'm doing so far, although I'd love to go 3D!
I've made RPGMaker games as a teen (after finding the crazy world that is RPGMaker games) but something always felt off about it. Perhaps I'll give a simpler engine a shot and give it another try, but then again I have a lot of studying to do for certifications, work, and such.

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/733509 Here's the game I wanna try remake btw lol

somewhere on an old hard drive, is all of my game maker 8 projects from when i was like 9 years old

i fear the contents of that folder
When I was a little gai I literally maxed out the custom levels section of LBP2. I love to look back at it sometimes! I never really find it cringy, I just like seeing what little me thought was cool, and how that's changed.

btw i have this really shitty program called FPSCreator if any of you wanna use it lmao. Like i said, pretty shitty, but it's easy to use and gets the job done. theres also loads of downloadable assets online too if you wanna use them.
Download FPSC

I've wanted to make a remake of my first game Debugged! for some time now, and as it turns 3 this year, I thought I could do maybe a cool anniversary edition or some shit. I then realized the game turns 3 in 69 days from today, which is 4/20. I then proclaimed THAT IS FUCKING EPIC.

So come on! Lets all make some shitty little games and learn some new skills!
Were you successful in finishing your remake by the anniversary?

Don't mean to butt in, --- OR DO IT ?
I am also a "please God let me actually get into this sort of thing properly" games """" Developer"""""
I primarily utilize RPGMaker; I've spent the most time with VX Ace but switched to MZ later on.
I've gotten my name in the credits in some other games (the most notable one is 'POSTAL 4: No Regerts', but I don't recommend people play it until it's been updated to actively play better)
I've had to can a number of medium-to-large projects in the past due to live events: // I was a caretaker and my granddad passed, covid hit and lost a job, at one point I was too depressed to even draw

A few months back I decided "fuck it" and started from the ground up on a game idea I had wanted to do for YEARS. Which was ripping off the first POSTAL, oddly enough.
I was gonna wait until I had a much better PC under my arms, but even with a decent paying job (of which I lost), saving up is difficult for me. I like to spend so the people I live with are happy.
I considered taking up art commissions like I used to over Twitter, but that never went fucking *anywhere* because only my friends would toss me any dosh.
In spite of all that, I did start chipping away at the idea and even started getting a fairly optimistic mock-up started up.

ActiveShootamockup.PNG

I'm used to using pixelart to make assets, but for this game I specifically wanted to go all in on my own hand~drawn artstyle.
I'll also show y'all what sort of pixelart I'm capable of, as it may be a little more impressive... *maybe*
These projects in pixels tend to have been worked on on/off anywhere from 2020 till earlier this year (right before I moved out of Alabama)
[10]A screenshot from a personal project (early 2021).PNG

whatimuptorightnow.PNG

I tried looking into getting paid for making game assets and even ran along some cheap gigs for a while just to make end's meat (ends meet?)
I still take up commissions out of the blue, but really, I'm hoping to someday put something out people would think is worth paying full price for, something of my very own.
I don't mind working on stuff for other people (though the most common thing in pixelart communities is getting conned into working for some NFTbros, which I don't approve of )

I wish I had more to show, I may actually if I dig hard enough into the older folders of my current desktop. But I gotta mentally prepare for work, I clock in three hours from now.
Not sure how active this forum gets or when it's more appropriate to post ;;; but I hope to see more people get into making art -- not just games, but literally anything.
Most of the video games people prattle on about do not excite me anymore. The last game I "anticipated" was Death Stranding and it was... alright. It was *different*, I'll give it that.

I hope to see what sorts of stuff you fine people here are working on
Maybe I'll even someday have a demonstration or early build I could share of something I put together.
*Who knows?* right now, I'm just glad I found a new place to help keep myself from feeling dreadful about... pretty much everything going on these days lol

((( ( I'll pop back on here after work and see what other coolass threads are actively going ! ! ! ) )))

Don't mean to butt in, --- OR DO IT ?
Hey man, good stuff. Have you tried getting on some freelance platforms? I have friends doing similar stuff and are making a couple thousand a month. Lmk if I can help with some tips (I also freelance).

/pub/ ~ public channel
Help Users
      Xeraser @ Xeraser: I had goose eggs earlier
      Back