skaala
a small bash script for determining the combined filesize of all vids in a youtube playlist

Currently reading:
skaala
a small bash script for determining the combined filesize of all vids in a youtube playlist

faen

sound artist
comfy friend
šŸ’  (Ā“惻Ļ‰ćƒ»ļ½€) šŸ’ 
Reaction score
comfy coins
šŸ’ 1,184,162
hey guys. i needed to download a large playlist of videos from youtube, but i wasn't sure how much space it would take up, so i needed a way to tell without downloading the whole damn playlist. i went ahead and made this bash script that takes a direct youtube playlist link, gets all the video links that are a part of that playlist, gets the size of each video, and then adds them all up at the end. currently this is bash only because im a linux cuck, but i have plans to port it to powershell or python if any of you think that would be helpful for you in some way. if i do expand on this in some capacity, i'll throw it in a git repository so i can actually do version control for it. for now though, its just a small, simple util and i figured i'd share it here in case any of you have some kind of use for it. use it however you want, idc.

it'll make a failed_videos.txt in your PWD if it's unable to get information for any of the videos in the playlist, and all output it makes is logged to a file called log.txt in your PWD

dependencies are-
bash
yt-dlp
bc
grep

here's a screenshot example of me running it on some random shell scripting tutorial playlist

20240329_19h15m29s_grim.png

fair warning, i haven't done a ton of work on this so it probably has bugs and whatnot, and in my experience running it, it's pretty slow

in its current form, it's available to download at https://0x0.st/XzHd.sh and i also attached it to this post

also skaala means 'scale' in finnish

cheers

Description
/pub/ ~ public channel
Help Users
      S (Guest) Some1new: america ya! Ha\llo :D
      Back