Hardware synth - how to sync with DAW?

Currently reading:
Hardware synth - how to sync with DAW?

inversionist

comfy friend
Reaction score
comfy coins
💠5,031
I've been an owner of a Volca Drum for about two months now and while I love messing around with it, I would love to have it play in sync with my DAW - recording can be kinda difficult without it. I know that it can sync with other Volcas through the mini jack, and that it also can be synced with the help of a MIDI connection.

Unfortunately, my audio interface does not have any MIDI output channels. I've seen some USB to MIDI cables, but I would rather consult this issue with ya'll beforehand. How well do these things work?

Most of those USB-MIDI cables aren't very good, but I have the Roland UM-ONE MKII and it works great. It's a bit more expensive but worth it.

Most of those USB-MIDI cables aren't very good, but I have the Roland UM-ONE MKII and it works great. It's a bit more expensive but worth it.
What do you mean by "not very good"? What are the shortcomings of cheaper cables exactly? (really don't want to drop this kind of money on a roland cable)

What do you mean by "not very good"? What are the shortcomings of cheaper cables exactly? (really don't want to drop this kind of money on a roland cable)
stuck notes that wont turn off, dropped notes that never play, weird clock and timing issues. The cheaper ones may work for you, but I've never had these issues with the roland.

stuck notes that wont turn off, dropped notes that never play, weird clock and timing issues. The cheaper ones may work for you, but I've never had these issues with the roland.
oh, I just need the cable to sync the two devices together, that's all. guess I'll probably be fine with cheaping out then. But I've got one more question: I've seen MIDI/USB cables with a small device attached to it (like the roland cable) and alternatives without it. what is that particular part for?

oh, I just need the cable to sync the two devices together, that's all. guess I'll probably be fine with cheaping out then. But I've got one more question: I've seen MIDI/USB cables with a small device attached to it (like the roland cable) and alternatives without it. what is that particular part for?
also another issue is latency, on top of the clock and timing issue, so don't be surprised if your volca can't stay in time with your DAWs clock and tempo. I'm not totally sure about that, but I do know that it has LEDs that blink with the tempo and show note on/off events. That might be all it does, but get on with that. Just go with the cheaper, and if it does work then great, and if it doesn't then it's not a big loss.