Gaming in General - What are you currently playing? Any games you're looking forward to?

Currently reading:
Gaming in General - What are you currently playing? Any games you're looking forward to?

Blue

comfy friend
Reaction score
comfy coins
šŸ’ 9,318
Talk about what you're currently playing and some gaming news you might be excited about.

I picked up Armored Core 6 during a sale and this is my first time dipping my toes into the mecha genre (well, excluding Titanfall) and I'm having fun.
The in game photo mode allows for some kino shots:
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg

Before playing AC I never really understood these mecha games. It always looked so clunky and boring to me but now I finally understand.
Other than that I'm playing Sea of Thieves again with my gf and a friend and patiently waiting for the Elden Ring DLC.

AC is great. it's also decidedly not a simulation, so definitely broader appeal. i grew up on the simulation-type ones myself (mechwarrior) and i think a flightstick does a lot for the feel of those in a way it can't for something like AC, so it's worth knowing the distinction of subgenre in that case
beyond that the real core of it is the customizing of your mech which is something both the sim and action type mech games share on a pretty fundamental level. they're two approaches to the same basic fundamental which is pretty interesting
as for what i've been playing, recently finished with Atari 50 (a gaming history lesson with some games as a bonus. i'd recommend The Making of Karateka over it but Atari 50 is still decently solid, even if a standard controller can't imitate a trackball or a dial very well) and qomp (what if Pong but you controlled the ball directly and also it's a puzzle platformer?) and am getting back to X: Beyond the Frontier, which has had my life in a chokehold for the past month

the real core of it is the customizing of your mech which is something both the sim and action type mech games share on a pretty fundamental level. they're two approaches to the same basic fundamental which is pretty interesting
Yeah, I think I have already 5 or 6 different loadouts saved, all with vastly different parts and paints. I really enjoy how you can play however you want but also some missions really encourage changing up your loadout.

as for what i've been playing, recently finished with Atari 50 (a gaming history lesson with some games as a bonus. i'd recommend The Making of Karateka over it but Atari 50 is still decently solid, even if a standard controller can't imitate a trackball or a dial very well) and qomp (what if Pong but you controlled the ball directly and also it's a puzzle platformer?) and am getting back to X: Beyond the Frontier, which has had my life in a chokehold for the past month
Hmm I wonder if I could get into those old Atari games. I already find most NES/FAMICOM games not very engaging past a few minutes. I'm very much spoiled by "modern" gaming conveniences.
Currently Starsector is giving my my fix of space ship games, now that I look at X: Beyond the Frontier.

i picked up starsector recently myself, very solid choice
Hmm I wonder if I could get into those old Atari games. I already find most NES/FAMICOM games not very engaging past a few minutes.
for those kinds of things i think a lot of it is more context than anything. Atari 50 is something i feel like would be most effective to someone that already cares about those games and just wants to know more about their development and the company. i'd only recommend to old hat atari nerds like myself
The Making of Karateka however i'd recommend to anyone because its focus on that one specific game/its developer (and a few of its ports) i think would be engaging to go through even for someone that doesn't enjoy playing the game itself, or might be able to give someone an appreciation for it they might not have otherwise had. and even if someone still doesn't like actually playing the game, it's a relatively small part of what's effectively a documentary. neat stuff and i think more old game compilations/collections should strive to be more like it, since learning the context and checking out the prototypes "as it happens" on a timeline really is an experience tossing the game in a standard emulator won't provide

/pub/ ~ public channel
Help Users
      Eduarlen @ Eduarlen: Hola buenas noches desde Cuba
      Back